Sunday, October 21, 2007

Pumpkin Hat a.k.a. 'Halloweenie Beanie'

It has been SO LONG since my last post! The main reason for this has been because I just don't do that many crafty things in the summer. It just seems like my time is better spent outdoors enjoying the warm weather with friends than indoors, by myself, working on projects.

That being said, Fall is here and I have been bitten by the knitting bug again! There's just something about cold weather that makes me want to work with soft yarn. Awhile back, I found this lovely little pattern for a pumpkin hat on Crazy Aunt Purl's site
http://www.crazyauntpurl.com/archives/2007/10/reversible_
knit.php. I thought it was so cute, but didn't know when or where I would wear a hat that looks like a pumpkin! Of course, I didn't need to wait long until the third annual Crazy Hat Bar Crawl came around and two weeks before the event I decided that I would make this lil ol' punkin' hat just for that occasion!



At Witt's, the first bar on the crawl.

My pumpkin getting some sun.

As you can see, my hat does not look like the one in CAP's pattern. I swear I followed all the directions correctly, but I think somewhere along the way I must've missed something. Or my stitches were off way in the beginning - because how else would I have gotten a totally different pattern? I LOVE MY HAT, however, I am going to have to get better at following the patterns.

In the middle of transferring stitches from circular needles to the double-pointed ones (DPNs)....

...and the successful completion of the transfer! I just stitched away. CAP wrote that for her first few times with DPNs she "slipped the stitches off my circs and onto my double-points without knitting them, evenly distributing stitches over the three dpns." I'm kinda proud of myself for just diving in and knitting while transferring. Of course, since I was finishing this hat the day of the bar crawl, I couldn't really afford to take any extra time. This was probably a good thing. I work well under pressure!


I had a lot more fun using the circular needles and the DPNs than I thought I would. I think my next project will be another hat! I would love to learn how to make really funky hats like these:
http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/na_knitting/article/0,2025,DIY_14141_5261873,00.html

2 comments:

Mega said...

Wow- that hat is awesome. I'll have to borrow that sometime. Got the sidebar fixed eh?

Anonymous said...

Hat's off to your craftiness. As one of the orignators of the Crazy Hat Bar Crawl, I was appreciative of the effort you put into both you sweet hat and your bar crawling effort. Outstanding on both counts.